CHI2006 blog 
registration hours
final program
advance program
chi schedule explorer (new)
best of CHI
courses schedule
our sponsors

sponsoring, exhibiting, and recruiting

press room
student volunteers
about Montréal
Montréal open guide (new)
getting there
border entry
staying there
visiting Montréal
Canada travel basics
conference committee
call for participation
workshop websites
notifications calendar
submit camera ready copy
archived calls

SIGCHI homepage ACM homepage

Border Entry Requirements

Canada welcomes over 35 million visitors every year and Montreal hosts more international conventions than any other city in Canada. The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) is committed to making your travel experience to CHI 2006 a pleasant one. To this end, we are pleased to provide you with the following important information on border entry requirements.

Identification at the Border - U.S. Citizens
Although a passport is the ideal identification, you do not require a passport or visa to enter Canada. Just make sure you carry identification to establish your citizenship such as a Birth Certificate and least one ID card with photo. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you should carry this certificate. Permanent residents of the U.S.A. must bring their "Green Card".

For more information on traveling to Canada:

» Citizenship and Immigration Canada
» US Department of State

Visitors from the U.S. who are not American Citizens
Permanent residents of the United States (anyone with a Green Card) do not need to carry a passport or travel documents to enter Canada.

Temporary residents of the United States (anyone who carries a Temporary Resident Card, Form 1-688, or Employment Authorization Card, 1-688A or 1-688B) must carry a passport and may also require a visa depending on their country of citizenship

Citizens of other countries who wish to enter Canada through the United States must also carry a valid passport and may require a visa, which they should obtain from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate outside Canada. Those in this category should check with an office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service before they enter Canada.

Visitor Requirements: Travelers from Europe
European passport holders do not require a visa to visit Canada. All you need is a valid passport, a return ticket and sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents during your stay in Canada.

European visitors to Canada who wish to also visit the United States must possess valid passports to be admitted; residents of Portugal are further required to have a visa.

Visitor Requirements: Travelers from Other Countries
International travelers may require a visa to enter or transit Canada. To see whether you require a visa, visit the Canada site for more information on visa requirements.

Consulates and Embassies
There are almost one hundred consulates in Montréal. Below are five numbers; Additional information on diplomatic representatives, consulates and missions in Canada is listed at the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

Consulate General of the United States of America
(514) 398-9695
Please note that there is now a toll-free number (1-800-529-4410) for American citizen services.

Consulate General of France
(514) 878-4385

Consulate General of Great Britain
(514) 866-5863

Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany
(514) 931-2277